cat cats logo
Celebrating Felines
Save Up To 50% Everyday!
home   Home
Crazy for Kitties (Cats and Kittens!)
your cats   Your Cats
All our previous Kitty Stars of the Week. Contact us to have your cat be the star!
t-shirts   Cat T-Shirts
T-Shirts and Sweatshirts for you or your favorite cat-ophile.
names   Cat Names
Need a suggestion? Vote for your favorite name!
contact   Contact Us
Drop us an email
stories   Crazy Cat Stories
Because every cat has a story... Whitney
tales   Cat Tails
Share a cute story about your kitty. (Moderated)
articles   Features
Our feature articles...
books   Books and Music
Informative books,books of photos, books for kids. Plus music for your kitty.
facts   Kitty Facts
Do you know your kitties? Check out these cat facts.
quotations   Quotations
Celebrating cats through words.
gallery   Photo Gallery
Some great cat photographs to enjoy.
friends   Cat Friends
Gus, Kitty Baby Gram, plus kittens... and the Crazy for Kitties Mailbox
glossary   Meow!
Glossary of cat-related terms
links   Cat Links
Search our directory -- suggest a site! (Will open in new window.)
ricki   Ricki at 17
A little slideshow in memory of the Rick cat.

Copyright 1999-2018 by crazyforKITTIES (SM) Privacy


Newton Street Cat in Residence

By Kathleen Newsom

Nina Porter, my father's mother, loved to tell the story of how she acquired "Foxy". Grandma worked as a seamstress in the back of her single-shotgun house on Newton Street. One day, while she was sewing, she heard crying outside the back door. She knew it was a cat and opened the door to find, on her doorstep, a mother cat with long gray fur surrounded by a litter of crying kittens wandering around her feet. The mother cat looked tired, hungry, and overwhelmed. Grandma was a single parent, so she understood how motherhood could take its toll, especially on feral cats. She went to the kitchen and carefully opened the screen door with scraps of meat for the mother cat and a bowl of milk for the kittens. Maybe she was tame or perhaps she was too tired to be frightened, but the mother cat greedily ate the meat and the kittens surrounded the bowl from all sides and drank. Grandma snuck back in the house, not wanting to disturb them, and went back to work on the sewing machine. After some time, Grandma heard a tiny cry. She knew it wasn't the mother cat and thought there was trouble. She opened the door and looked where they had been eating. The mother cat was gone, along with her litter -- except for one. Between the empty bowl and where the remnants of meat lay sat a little gray kitten. Looking very much like the mother cat, he just sat there looking up at her without moving. Apparently, as Grandma was fond of saying, the mother cat left him as payment for the meal. Foxy was brought into the house and thus began the tradition of adopting feral cats into the house on Newton Street.

My father and I moved into the old shotgun house in 1991 and had no cats at the time. Foxy had outlived Grandma by five years, passing away at 18 in 1986. Dad was recovering from esophageal cancer surgery and I was finishing my last year of undergraduate work at the University of New Orleans. It wasn't that we didn't want a cat in the house, but we had other priorities at the time.

My father had a habit of going out in the backyard to drink his morning cup of coffee. Over a series of mornings, he befriended a feral cat he called "Pretty". She had spots of black, gray, and white. She became tame enough for Dad to be able to place his hand down to pet her head for about three seconds before she would run away. This went on until one day Pretty didn't show up, and more days of absences followed. Dad noticed that she was pregnant, so he assumed she had had her litter and was in seclusion.

It was on Mother's Day in 1992 when we discovered Pretty's litter under the house, which wasn't long after Pretty's disappearance. There were five kittens. Three of them were dead and Pretty was nowhere to be found. The remaining two, each barely filling the palm of my hand, were flea-infested and dehydrated. With the help of a neighbor, the kittens were washed, dried, and "de-fleaed" by hand. Dad filled a dropper bottle with milk and crushed up dried cat food and we began the feedings. One was a full tabby and the other was a mottle of white, gray, and black. The curious distinction between them was the tabby has pure black on the tip of its tail and the other had a tip of pure white. We kept them in a cardboard box with a blanket. Each day they progressed better than the next.

Once they were stronger, we took them out in the backyard. Little furry bodies climbing on and over my high-tops like children on a jungle gym. Dad stood on the back steps and clapped and called, "Babies!" The tabby made a floppy bee-line for Dad. I think the decision was made for us -- we were keeping them. We called the tabby "Tygre" and the other was called "Sascha". I gave them feminine names because I thought they were female. This changed when we had them neutered and found out they were both male (so much for my veterinary expertise).

Tygre and Sascha were constant distractions and companions for Dad. He'd spend his day getting them out of the crawl space under the wall heater, climbing the ladder after Dad as he was adding a drop-down ceiling in the den, and following him everywhere he went in the house. They also performed a unique trick. Dad was fond of Sun-Maid raisins in the medium-sized red boxes. They were spoiled -- only red boxes. They would have nothing to do with the green Del Monte raisin boxes. Dad crumpled the boxes up and threw them for the cats to chase. If one end of the box had a raised lip, Tygre would pick it up with his teeth and take it back to Dad. Sascha never got the hang of fetching, but he chased the bouncing crumpled box as often as he could. They even managed to get them into Dad's shoes.

Tygre and Sascha were strictly inside cats. One day the screen door was accidentally left open. It had been years at this point since their backyard trek as kittens. How far did they get? Tygre was on the second step of the back steps. He laid down and cried. Sascha made it to the side of the house, but he cried as bad as Tygre.

In 2003, Tygre began acting listless and not eating. After a battery of vet tests, we learned he had a blood disease. For a year Tygre had blood transfusions, medications, and vet stays. He'd shown some improvement for a time, then take a downward turn, and then bounce back. Like Dad, Tygre had his good days and bad ones. So long as there was a chance for Tygre to have some quality of life, we continued the treatments. Tygre would take his place next to Dad's side on the couch and purr -- that was worth everything we did for him. One day Tygre went missing. We looked under beds, behind furniture, and then I noticed the door of my linen closet slightly ajar. I had to pull large suitcases and carry-ons and Tygre had somehow squeezed his little furry body in tiny spaces and hid in the back of the closet. I took this as a sign that he was preparing to move on. I took him to the vet for overnight observation. Tygre died during the night.

It has been said that when an organ in the human body fails, others compensate. Sascha was never second best, but he took a supporting role in my father's relationship with Tygre. Suddenly Sascha began sitting on the couch with Dad, something he wouldn't do when Tygre was with us. He began sleeping on Dad's bed and waking Dad up when "he" thought Dad should get up and feed him.


My role never changed. I'm convinced Sascha views me as my father's "pet". After all, Dad sees me out in the morning, so the last thing Sascha witnesses is Dad letting me out. Then in the evening, I return, so Dad lets me in.

Sascha is a well-traveled cat. He came with us when we evacuated during Katrina. He was never a fan of the "pet taxi" and seems to transform into Cujo whenever he's in there for any length of time. Imagine over 14 hours the day before the storm hit, driving to the Alabama state line with talk radio discussing the storm and Sascha serenading us every minute. Still, he was a trooper. We were fortunate enough to get a room at a hotel that accepted pets. There was enough space between our beds for Sascha to jump back and forth from one to the other. It reminded me of a kid on vacation jumping up and down on a hotel bed. It took us six weeks and traveling a round-trip distance of 1,700 miles, but we made it back home. Sascha acted as though nothing had happened and he was never out of sync with his normal routine. I envied him in that.

Ever since Sascha was diagnosed with a liver disorder, I've had to administer medicine to him every morning and night, so now he associates me with medication. Therefore, I am the personification of evil in his eyes whenever I open the refrigerator door (his medicine needs refrigeration). I have to chase him around the house (Dad does a great job with blocking and retrieval) and then console his cries quickly followed by a blue pill down his throat followed by two syringes of liquid. Sascha escapes after the medication event and goes to eat like he needs to get the bad taste out of his mouth immediately. He licks places I can't mention here -- how can medicine be worse than that?

This coming Mother's Day will mark Sascha's sixteenth birthday. In some ways he's like a teenager -- fiercely independent, doesn't listen to anything you say, and does exactly what he wants. In some ways, he's like an old man -- set in his ways and dependant though he doesn't want to be.

Dad and Sascha are good company for each other, and are my foundation of home and family. They're both up there in years and now I can't imagine life without either of them. But none of us were built to last forever. The best we can hope for is one more day, one more moment to hold onto, and to cherish them all for all their worth.

A cat has always been in residence in our shotgun on Newton Street and hopefully Sascha will remain with us for quite some time.

Kathleen Newsom is a writer in Greta. She can be reached at
kathleennewsom @